Pearl barley is commonly added to soups and stews in winter to make them filling and heartwarming. Here is a summertime recipe, using pearl barley in a salad. It is delicious and filling!
PEARL BARLEY SALAD
- 1.5 cups of pearl barley
- 1 onion – finely chopped or a few spring onions
- 2 peppers- green or red or yellow – chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 2 or more large handfuls of parsley – finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
How to make:
- Cook the pearl barley (boil in water until tender to the bite) then rinse and allow to cool.
- Fry the chopped peppers in 1 tbsp. of the olive oil over a medium heat for a few mins until they start to soften, add to the cooked and cooled pearl barley. If you only have white or red onion in rather than spring onion, cook along with the peppers.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, stir through, season to taste and there you have it!
Great with fish, tofu, meat, chicken and a green salad. You could add any seasonal veggies you like into the mix when you’re cooking the peppers – baby marrows and asparagus would be great.